The RKE Federal Credit Union’s charter was approved on November 17, 1959. Its field of membership was the employees of the Kaiser Aluminum and Chemical Corporation who worked in Ravenswood, West Virginia; employees of the credit union; members of their immediate family; and organizations of such persons. The name of the credit union was changed from RKE Federal Credit Union to Ravenswood Federal Credit Union on March 22, 1989. In January 1991, the Ravenswood Federal Credit Union’s field of membership was changed to a community charter. As a result, persons who reside or work in Jackson County, West Virginia became eligible for membership at the credit union, as well as the following individuals or groups:
- Persons who reside or work in Jackson County, West Virginia
- Members of immediate families and organizations of such persons;
- Spouses of persons who died while within the field of membership;
- Employees of the credit union; and
- Persons retired as pensioners or annuitants from the Kaiser Aluminum and Chemical Corporation located in Ravenswood, West Virginia.
The credit union’s current size is at approximately 32 million in assets and has approximately 5,500 members.